|Talent tree||Enhancement, Tier 3|
|Improved Stormstrike, Thundering Strikes, Weapon Mastery|
Stormstrike is an instant-cast spell learned only from a talent (Enhancement tree) that grants an instant attack with all equipped weapons and applies 12-second debuff that increases the damage of the Shaman's next four Nature spells that hit the target by 20%. With the Improved Stormstrike talent, it also allows the Shaman to gain mana.
When you cast this spell, you immediately launch a melee attack against the currently targeted opponent, which has a normal chance to hit, and is subject to normal combat procs like Windfury. (Dual wielding shamans strike with both weapons simultaneously as the description above states, although a shaman does not need to dual wield in order for Stormstrike to be useful to them.) If you are in between swings of your weapon and hit your target with Stormstrike, it will not count as another normal swing or disrupt the timing of your attacks. For example, if you take 3 seconds between weapon swings and use Stormstrike 1 second after you have struck your target with a normal swing, you will only have to wait 2 more seconds before taking another normal swing. If you hit the target with Stormstrike right before you were timed to land a normal melee hit, you will launch the normal melee attack right after the Stormstrike instead of having to wait another few seconds before swinging again. In this way, it is similar in certain ways to the Windfury proc in that it allows the shaman to hit their target twice in a short span of time. The target also acquires a Stormstrike debuff, which lasts until four sources of Nature damage from the Shaman hit it.
Tips and tactics
- Stormstrike is not considered a spell, meaning you can still use it even while silenced.
- Earth Shock, Lightning Shield (which also works if triggered by Static Shock) and lightning spells (often cast off Maelstrom Weapon) allow the Shaman to take advantage of the debuff.
- Because Stormstrike and Windfury deal damage based on the damage range of the equipped weapons regardless of their speed, an enhancement shaman should have always have the slowest possible weapons equipped. This became even more important in patch 3.1.0, as Flametongue Weapon no longer favors fast weapons in any way.
- Hotfix (2009-04-17): "Totem of the Dancing Flame should no longer cause a target affected by Stormstrike to take additional damage."
- Template:Patch 3.1.0
- Template:Patch 2.0.1
- Patch 1.11.0 (patch date:2006-06-20): Prior to patch 1.11, Stormstrike cost 30% of base mana and only reset the swing timer, so that it was only useful as an opener or just after a regular swing. It now acts as described, causing an instant, extra attack.