- This article is about the 10 and 25-player versions of the raid introduced in Patch 3.2.2. For the original 40-man version of Onyxia's Lair, see Onyxia's Lair (original).
|Onyxia / Ony / Onx|
|Onyxia's Lair loading screen|
Onyxia's Lair was originally a level 60, 40-player raid dungeon, only one of two that were available upon release of World of Warcraft (the other being Molten Core). It was re-tuned as a level 80 raid dungeon in patch 3.2.2 in honor of World of Warcraft's 5-year anniversary. Like all other Wrath of the Lich King raid dungeons, it has both 10-man and 25-man modes.
Onyxia's lair is in a volcanic cave in Dustwallow Marsh. The floor of the main cavern is just solid enough that Onyxia can sit on it normally without cracking the floor and revealing the lava below. This is intentional; if seriously threatened, she shatters the floor, exposing the lava to further damage her enemies. She has over one hundred eggs in her clutch, but her mate is unknown.
King Varian Wrynn and a group of Alliance heroes were able to assault her lair and slay Onyxia. Onyxia was decapitated and her head was brought back to Stormwind City to be hung from the gates. After her death, Broll Bearmantle summoned roots from the ground to crush and kill her unborn progeny.
- Main article: Onyxia's Lair loot
The level 80 version of Onyxia drops headpieces with similar names and models as the Tier 2 ones the original level 60 version had. (The actual Tier 2 headpieces now drop off Nefarian in Blackwing Lair). She also drops a new version of Quel'Serrar since the questline for the original version has been removed from the game. All of these items have been upgraded to reflect Onyxia's new status as a Tier 9-level boss. There is also an extremely fast mount named Brood of Onyxia that drops off her.
For a complete list of items Onyxia can drop, see Onyxia's Lair loot.
- Trash mobs
Patches and hotfixes
- Template:Patch 3.2.2
- Patch 3.0.2 - Onyxia's Lair attunement was removed as of patch 3.0.2, as well as the attunement questline. Prior to Patch 3.0.2, it was necessary to have the either equipped or in your inventory in order to enter. See Onyxia's Lair Attunement for more information.
- Onyxia's Lair is the smallest raid in the entire game.
- This article has been tagged among the Pages that need revision.